Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Creek Outing


 A morning spent at the creek is a rush of amazing emotions.  My life is so linked to this place, this ever-changing scenery that is such a part of who I am.  I have walked this stretch of rocks and water since I was 10 years old, a place of family as well as a place of quiet.

This day, it was a place of family as Bryce and I (and our kids) met up to hang out at our creek.  Her two little bundles of energy keep her moving and mine keep me wondering where in the world they could have wandered off to.
Ajay and Zakary observe and protect God's creatures :-)

We had a wonderful visit and a little picnic.  We enjoyed lots of laughs and smiles and only a few tears.  We walked around a lot but also found a few times to sit together.
Cousins pitching rocks in the water.... a bonding experience.
A few tears and a precious pouty face.

As it always seems to happen, the kids found a special little creature to anchor them to this day.  So many of our days are remembered this way ....  remember that day under the tree we when the mantis crawled on your shoes ... remember when the katydid landed in your hair .... remember the day Ruby brought a cicada to the door and it was still buzzing all over when she dropped it ....  Well, this time it was a newly hatched dragonfly.

Evan's treasure this time wasn't an insect but rather this "giant dagger rock" which we brought home in the trunk of the car.  When I asked Evan why we needed to bring this thing home he said, "To add to the rock pile."  Naturally.
The graffiti-covered bridge is NOT a part of my memories, in fact it's rather disturbing.  But this photo is about that rock!

I know my kids (and Bryce's too) will have emotions and memories attached to this beautiful stretch of nature and will someday call it their own, just like I do.

1 comment:

Bryce said...

You tell the best stories! Being with you at our creek is a treasure!