Saturday, February 4, 2012

Happenings

Sorry for leaving everyone hanging with no details on yesterday's quick post about such a major event.  



The hair cut was not as big of an ordeal as I thought.  He just simply had enough of hair in his face all.the.time.  Plus hair grows back, right?  The length he had gotten to took him about a year (curly hair is so much longer than it looks).  I held back my tears as I cut in, and I'm sure he did too. 


Afterwards, he wasn't too thrilled with how short it ended up, but I assured him in a few months it would look just like he wanted.  I'm not a professional after all!  Before I cut even one piece he made sure I knew he was going to save it all in his treasure box (with a few locks set aside for me of course).  Chloe seemed indifferent about it all and just wanted her brother back to play with after waiting so long for me to get done.

 *********************

So what's been happening here??  Well, it's February and so far this winter we've only had one day of snow -- real snow where it accumulates and stays on the ground for more than 24 hours.  I think we got 10 inches, but it was gone two days later and hasn't stuck since.  The ground is so soggy from all the rain we've had in place of snow which makes the yard off-limits.


As always we are reading and reading and reading...


Evan is devouring fairy tales again and Chloe is working her way through the Mr. Putter books again.  I picked up Little Women for the first time in my life and read that along with Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.  Our bookshelf is overflowing right now!


Don't Touch the Floor is a great game for burning off energy.



Chloe really understands "rules" for games now and plays really well with the family.  We play Life, Bingo and Uno mostly.




Aunt Bryce comes over often to play and make everyone smile.  She and Evan still have such a sweet bond between them.



The art corner is always full of lovely messes.  Evan got into origami again for a few weeks and I found a mound of paper boxes there.  They both spend a lot of time tracing pictures in books and coloring geometric designs that take them days to finish.



Chloe and I play horses almost daily. It is all she loves and thinks about.





When the kids play together, they don't always agree on one thing, so they usually end up with a mish-mash.  Transformers and horses.  Monster trucks and horses.  Lego cars and horses.  Star Wars figures and horses..... You get the idea.

{horse elevator lifting transformer trucks to the upper deck}

One evening before bed, Chloe promised Evan to play monster trucks with him for the entire day the next day.  Skeptically, Evan went to bed thinking about that, and true to her word, she did.  The entire day!  That episode triggered a weeks long monster truck extravaganza here where they play them for hours every day. 

They have races through the hallway (zooming them from their room, past the bathroom and into my room) to see which truck is the furthest.  Then they dole out prizes from the fake money jar or the gem jar or the special seashells.  Sometimes they play hide and seek with them.  Occasionally they forget where they put them and I find them in the refrigerator or under my pillow.


The trampoline has been added to the "horse racing track."  Horse races always have insanely hyper classical music playing that Chloe chooses to give her more energy.  The faster the music, the faster she gallops! Her horse amazingly is always in first and sometime during the race she will announce, "My horse is two laps ahead of you!"  (which is not ever true).  Daily horse races have saved my sanity this soggy strange winter.



Evan stays busy with tinkertoys, lincoln logs and legos. 
{A kitty house, naturally}


And finally, here is some evidence of our one snow day.  (More on this in another post.)



Usually it looks like this outside, minus the spring jackets.  There have been some unusually warm days though.


I never thought I'd wish it would snow more...

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I love it all! I love that horses can be incorporated into anything Evan might be playing that day! I love that their artwork takes days to complete. I can imagine all the little details. I love seeing them bounce, race, and fly around the house together! I especially love your picture of the stack of books with blurry kids in motion in the background :) Doesn't that just sum up life with happy playful kiddos?????