Chloe loves to paint. Sometimes I walk into the kitchen, having just taken a shower or something, and find her surrounded by paint containers and clouded water cups and finished pictures drying nearby. Sometimes I just find the pictures with no evidence that she has been working (other than a few stray paint lines on the table).
She is imaginative, to say the least.
I have not felt it necessary to give her tips on 'how-to-draw' anything, knowing that she'll figure it out if she really wants to. And she has.
This one she made using the little Crayola jar paints (the only paints we could find that didn't smell awful like a chemical plant). I knew right away what it was -- a horse stable and pasture, surrounded by a beautiful fence. She put the crosses on the doors and added a hayloft over them without ever having talked before about 'what a barn looks like.' I love that. This picture came right from her heart onto the paper.
And this one.... I love it!! She wanted to paint a rhino, but try as she might, she couldn't 'copy' the shape from her animal book in a way she was happy with. So, she asked me to do it. I penciled an outline (without giving her any kind of drawing lesson) and she did the rest. It is absolutely stunning in person. The watercolor are so vibrant and varied. She sees this world in such a marvelous light, when even a boring gray (smelly) rhino can be a masterpiece.
2 comments:
Beautiful artwork! I love her use of cheerful color and her little details. I wish I had a pretty purple fence :)
Cried at the horse stable and barn painting the first time you showed it to me. Her originality is of the most precious kind--her OWN!!
The way you were a part of her rhino painting on your "Just-Us-Girls" day was exemplary.
You were so patient and attentive and interested no matter how dizzying the time of her asking you to guess what color paint, what part of the rhino she'd paint, and when to look and when not to look. You were an amazing example. I was feeding off of it!
The rhino masterpiece is the first of many, for sure!
Post a Comment