Saturday, July 12, 2014

Things He Says


Oh, how I love this kid.  The 'older boy' in him is emerging and what a wonder it all is.  I hear it daily in the things he says, the little boy he once was is just no longer around.  Evan is learning to relate to the world outside of his own selfish thoughts and desires, which I'm pretty sure is called maturity, but for now we'll just call it growing up a little. 

He asked me a few months ago what it was like to be me.  Such an amazing question.  He told me he is getting good at imagining what it's like to be inside someone else and look out of their eyes, but he wanted to know how to think like their brain.  He really wants to know, and it shows in his actions and words that he truly is learning.

He amazes me.

***************************

"Hmmm... I never thought of it that way" has taken the place of most backtalk and arguing along with the new "Maybe you're right.

He used to punch his Dad for teasing or annoying him with 'dumb jokes' but now he says,  "That is soooo not funny," followed by a quick witty comeback that leaves Todd in stitches.

Each stroll through the kitchen sparks a kind complement rather than a food request, such as, "That smells amazing, what is it?" or  "Yum, cookies!  Can I help?" or "Everything you make is delicious, so this probably will be too."   He knows I am more likely to feed him if I don't feel pestered. (Plus I'm pretty sure all the years of hearing Todd's kindness about my cooking have influenced him :-)

"Wow.  I didn't even see that.... Good move."  is the new response in chess to losing his coveted queen, which in the past has sparked eruptions of tears and game-quitting and refusal to ever play chess again.

Realizing he has control over good and bad habits in his life, he has taken charge of things like:  "I think I'll only play games once a week now, so I don't get addicted." or  "I'm not going to eat any chocolate for a few days since I don't want to get mosquito bites when I'm outside."

Every time he sees me he says, "I love you more."  The older he gets, the more real it is.  So very, very real.

***************************

When I tuck Evan in at night I often tell him I'm the luckiest mom in the world because I got the very best kids.  He has always questioned this as though he wants me to prove that it could possibly be true.  Recently he responded with, "All moms say that to their kids."  And I told him he was right, because all moms are lucky to have the kids God gave them.  I told him I treasure my kids just like every mom treasures hers, and mine just happen to be the best ones for me.  He seemed satisfied with that, as though he could relate to that feeling somehow.  And that satisfied me.

No comments: