Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Time to Paint

The bedrooms in our house are still the same boring off-white they have been since we moved in 10+ years ago.  Since then they have accumulated multiple "spackle" patches all over the place.  They are, in a word, horrid.  So, we finally got brave enough (and found a spell of time Todd had off work in the summer!!) to paint.  That of course means no one can sleep in their bedroom till the stink clears out.  Even no-VOC paint is still toxic to breathe. 

So, the solution?

Mattresses in the living room for the week!!  First the kids... then, us?  I have no idea how I am going to sleep in the living room yet (I don't even sleep good in my own bed).  Anyway, the kids were pretty excited about this new adventure.  Last night was pretty hyper, but they did great.






After letting them get all their bounces out for 15 minutes, we did our family book time -- we're reading Doctor Dolittle -- and then sent them out to play steamroller for 10 minutes more.  Finally we figured they should settle down a bit with some Garfield books by flashlight, or as they prefer, their new headlamps :-)


Finally we cuddled together and hoped for the best.  We had to talk to them several times about quieting down and being calm, but by 9:45pm they were out.  Hopefully they will be sleeping by their regular 9pm tonight, but if not, at least they are making a really fun memory!

Oh, and lest anyone think that I am brave in the color department, we are merely upgrading our boring off-white to a slightly less boring tan -- the same as our living room color.  At least there will be no more spackle spots!

2 comments:

Bryce said...

Come on! When will you paint the gorgeous robin's egg blue somewhere in your lovely little cottage?

Chloe's headlamp and Evan buried in the crack of the mattress is a fun photo!

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness. I was wriggling with excitement and flashing back to childhood sleepovers reading this post! You had me right up until the end...tan? You're painting over tan with...tan? But you and the kids (I don't really know Todd) are sooooooo creative and artistic. Embrace color, at least in your bedrooms! The only way I will stop complaining about tan is if you assure me those freshly painted walls will be covered with children's colorful artwork. That, I can embrace :)

(And lest you think I'm a total loon, I think about 70% of our house is tan right now. But we painted the kitchen and office blue and they are my favorite rooms! But I do get tan. Yet I still complain...you are not a tan family.)