Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Rant about Playgrounds


 It seems there are rules for behavior that is acceptable on the playground. 



These rules are not posted anywhere, ever, but I'm sure you've heard them:


Don't cut in line. 
Don't climb on the top of the monkey bars.
Don't climb up the slides.  
Don't touch the wood chips. 
Don't pick up the wood chips.
Don't carry sticks. 
Don't pretend sticks are guns.
Don't try to go around the scared little kid at the top of the slide -- stand there eternally and wait your turn.



I've heard parents shout absurd and horrid things like this at their kids for years and I'm tired of it.  I've also had other parents try to correct MY kids for doing these kinds of things. "Don't be dangerous kid!!  Don't do anything I don't allow my kid to do!!  Don't do anything that my kid doesn't like!!"

I've also had people glare at me for obviously not passing on the ridiculous playground rules to my offspring as though I have done the world a disservice.




My kids climb up slides. 
Every time. 
Since they were 2 years old.




And they do all the other things on the list of rules.

It's a PLAY ground.  Can we just play?  Can we just let kids be kids?  Can we just let them solve their own problems sometimes?

Maybe they don't care if they have to wait three seconds for a turn, or that someone faster than them got in line first, or that a big kid ran by and bumped them a bit hard on the shoulder.... And if they do care, aren't we there to gently and lovingly help them out??



Our family's only playground rule is the same life rule we follow everywhere: 
Be kind; Be respectful; Obey mom and dad.


How does that translate at the playground? 

If you want to climb up the slide, make sure no one is on the ladder heading up. 
If someone is on the monkey bars and you want to climb on top, wait. 
If you have been on the swing for a long time, give someone else a turn. 
If you want to make a stick into a gun, don't shoot anyone except your sister.



Be kind.
Be respectful. 
And if you do something that really needs to be addressed, mom or dad will talk to you (without embarrassing you) and you are expected to obey.


But most importantly, just play and have fun!!

4 comments:

xox said...

As usual, I agree! ...stick 'em up! arrggghhh ya got me! xox

Gramma Monde said...

That's why Camryn and I only go to playgrounds without full time "police". And as far as other parents correcting her - well let's just say "Mama bear" hasn't lost her touch! See you guys next Tues...

Leslie said...

I had to laugh at "don't shoot anyone except your sister" Hee hee.

Good rules Mom :)

Bryce said...

Sounds so easy! I can do this...I will follow in your beautiful footsteps. It doesn't just sound easy, it IS easy because you've been consistent and compassionate, loving, and respectful when communicating with your kids. Your kids know your voice and trust that when you shout out, it's an emergency. Otherwise, momma's happy and it's just as you said, play and have fun!