Chloe's other front tooth wiggled itself loose on Sunday after church, following a weekend of "baby food" and a barely-holding-on snaggletooth. She is thrilled beyond words that it's over and done with!
Last night, she had a revelation about her Dad being the one who has been playing tooth fairy all these years (he's stealthier than I am!). She knows we won't lie about it, but over the years we've just dodged it with "I can't tell you that!" or "Hmmm... I don't know....." But when she asked, "Mom, do you wake up in the night to put money under my pillow?" I answered truthfully, "No." And this sent her reeling with a new idea -- "Dad is the fairy!!!!!!" (I laughed really hard when she announce that. Todd did not.) Kicking her feet and squealing, she had it all figured out. She asked him if he ever put money under her pillow at night, and he said Yes. Pretty pleased with herself, she could not stop smiling. We all went to bed that night feeling the end of an era.
Fast forward to this morning. Chloe woke me up early, and in my groggy state she kept probing me.... "Aren't you going to ask me anything?" over and over. When I finally realized what she was talking about I said, "Did the tooth fairy leave you some money??" Her smile was gone. "No," she answered. Um. What?!? She said she even looked inside her pillow.... Dad must have forgotten. So I called him. He said he did in fact forget and he was so sorry. I asked her to check again. Maybe she didn't search thoroughly. This time she dug deep into the pillow case and heard money rattling around! Her toothless smile spread wide across her face, and her eyes bugged out. Maybe she hasn't solved the mystery after all......
(I may have smuggled money into her room in my t-shirt and 'straightened' her bed a bit before I called her dad..... But she didn't ask me if I had anything to do with it!)

No comments:
Post a Comment