Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pumpkin Farm 2013


We went to the pumpkin farm this year with two friends in tow.  Evan can't imagine going here without Jed, since this is the giant playground where they first met and played together.  Chloe was so thankful that Ysabet came to join her too, because she knew the boys would only want to do one thing (and she was right, as you will soon see...)  I didn't take a ton of photos because truly I was sitting alone quite a bit as my kids ran off with friends far away :-)  So different now than it used to be.

The boys insisted on stuffing corn in every item of clothing, including socks.

The kids paired off right away and I stayed with the girls.  These two did a little bit of everything but mostly they loved the giant slides and feeding the goats.

These horses, which last year I could hardly drag her from, only got a few minutes of her time.  Sadly they are all pretty beat up and missing some of the things that made them so fun.  Plus it was really windy and sunny up there on the hill.

They spent so much time here just loving all the goats. 


Meanwhile, down over the hill were these rugged boys tearing up the peddle car track.  I had been with the girls for about an hour and a half when I went to check in on the guys.

There weren't very many people at the farm that day but there was a line of kids waiting to ride.  My first thought was, have they shared these things at all???  So I asked.   "Um, not really," Evan answered as he drove over the tire barrier and into the grass beside Jed.  I laughed to myself.  Ninety minutes of super fun, right?  Oh well.  Also, there was a huge swampy puddle on the track which explained why they were both soaked from the knees down.


I asked them to share at least a little bit and went back to get the girls so we could all be together for a bit. 


When we all came down the track together, what were those boys up to??   All kinds of off-roading in this swampy patch decidedly outside of the track.  I just love these two together.
Best part of the day?  Driving in mud.

Chloe and Evan spent most of October "training" to get in shape for these cars -- daily bike rides around the block, racing around the house a hundred times.  Afterwards they both said it paid off.





Sweaty kids with tired legs needed a break.  Especially since Jed and Evan had been peddling for over two hours.

Once again, the kids split up.  The girls ran up to the goats and slides again, and the boys played tag on the hay bales. 


After a while they ran up the hill to get the girls to come play tag too.  Ten minutes later I heard maniacal laughter coming from the top of the hill.  That's my kid, no doubt.

I could see all four of them bouncing around and when I came up closer I found this:
They are actually called bouncing hot dogs and you never heard laughing and merry-making as these four churned up.  This might have been my favorite part of the whole day :-)
You could actually slide or bounce down the hill on them, or just stand at the top and throw it and make everyone laugh with how funny it looked.

After eating a snack, they were revived for another hour of peddle-carting adventures.  There was a small corn maze that Jed decided was too easy, but just the right size for riding through, so they all followed him.

We were only there for three and a half hours this year, but what fun!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Great pictures! I'm grinning ear to ear, imagining their fun. It makes me want to try out one of those hot dog thingies :) Those peddle cars are awesome! I am not surprised at all that Evan would love them so much. The picture of him with his friend on the hay bales is beautiful. And you were able to sit peacefully during this? That is wonderful news! I know my day is coming, but we still have a ways to go...enjoy your quiet times! You've earned them :)