Friday, September 21, 2012

Purple Pants


It's fall and the weather is really shifting, so we did our fall clothes shopping recently.  It is always interesting to see what my girl decides is worthy of her wearing as she peruses the racks of clothes.

She has been through so many interesting clothing phases since she began deciding what she would and wouldn't wear (at the age of two) --  remember these?? 

*the Thomas t-shirt
*all red, all the time
*no pink, no white, no ruffles, no skirts....
*tie-dye
*layered socks
*the unicorn nightgown/dress
*animal prints
*bright colors and rainbows
*pant legs tucked into socks
*red velvet dresses for all occasions
*lots of dresses and skirts and twirly girly things
*glitter on everything


She sure has changed and evolved, and amazingly every season brings something new and more interesting.  Her current loves are:

*hearts on everything
*sparkly stars
*bow details (!!!)
*glitter shoes  -- still
*super soft fabrics  like velour or corduroy
*black shirts with sparkly designs  (black!!??!!)


And once again for Chloe, the bright colors prevail.  So when we were shopping this is the sort of clothing she was drawn to.  I shouldn't have been surprised at all by her choice of purple corduroy pants, but I was. 



I didn't really like them and didn't really believe she'd wear anything with a snap and zipper (she still hates jeans).  But, persuasive as she is, she convinced me she would wear them so we brought them home. 


She could not be more pleased and proud in those soft purple pants.  And, you know, they actually look really pretty on her.


This sort of thing is still hard for me.  Moms are supposed to pick the clothes and the kids are supposed to put them on and look adorable.  Alas, that is not how things are for me and Chloe.

I always have a bit of a struggle just letting go when it's shopping time.  (That's weird, I know and maybe I shouldn't share that here, but it goes with this whole story, so there it is.)  But, I have never been willing to fight over clothes, so we don't.  She picks.  I smile.

More than anything, I want my sweet girl to know that nothing like purple pants (or Thomas t-shirts or crazy orange knee socks with khaki shorts) will never be an issue between us.  I love her just the way she is, and that 'way' is quite often different from me.  I like that.  I can't let my pride or expectations get in the way of that.

I hope someday she knows that when I am supporting her (through things that are uncomfortable or even mildly embarrassing for me), I am expressing my unconditional mama guarantee:  I love her and I accept her, no matter what. 

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I know this is missing the point of your post a bit, but i absolutely LOVE the purple pants :) I've always dressed a little rainbow bright myself, though, so....

I know when she's old enough to understand these things, Chloe will be so thankful to have a Mom that let her express herself with clothes that she so clearly loves, one vibrant season after another!

Now, if only she could find purple pants with glittery hearts on the pockets and bows on the belt loops...

xox said...

Love love love those pants! (of course, you knew I would!). Now if I can lose a few more pounds I might be able to squeeze back into my OWN purple pants with the black leopard spots... YES! paired with a lime green shirt makes a great outfit! xox

Chrissy said...

I admire your parenting so much, it always makes my heart smile when I read about your love for your kids. They truly are so lucky to have you as a mom. Although I know they realize that now they really will when they're a little bit older and you'll be happy with the purple pants purchase. I love and miss you terribly and would like to see you over the holidays. I still think about you extremely often. Hope to hear from you soon.