Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Trail Walk to the Creek

When we go into the woods I usually pretend it's my own backyard (minus the fact that I had to drive there).  Kids seem to do this naturally.
At our favorite spots where we take Evan and Chloe, I observe how they start to own it.

In Asbury Woods, this secluded deck on a hill is their clubhouse. 

Last weekend, as usual, they led the way down the trail, past familiar fallen trees and trail forks to find it.  Their clubhouse.

If they jump off the bench hard enough at the same moment, they can "shake the trees."

They scatter like dandelion seeds when we are on trails.... just like it's their own backyard.

Even when we don't plan to go to the creek we seem to end up there anyway.  Of course, I have always dreamed that our future backyard will have access to a creek, or a stream at the very least....

The shoes come off as everyone settles in......

And we feel like we are at home.

2 comments:

xox said...

...& indeed you ARE at home, for "home is where the heart is." ahhhh

Leslie said...

That last picture is beautiful! What a great place to sit and just "be." My favorite kid pic in this post is Evan's one shoed climb. Awesome :)